And In The News, December 20

According to Sherman Alexie, some days it’s a good day to die and some days it’s a good day for breakfast at Denny’s. According to Ranger Bob, a gorgeous day like today is perfect for walking each dog several times. It hasn’t always been so pleasant on today’s date in the Chequamegon region.

In 1912, one more logger died on the job.

Bayfield County Press, December 20, 1912

An accident resulted in the death of Dan Hatch, an employee at Furlott’s camp, last Monday morning at eight o’clock. Hatch was assisting in loading logs onto a car and just as the fourth tier was being adjusted, he removed the skid before the wrapper was locked. A log scaling 80 feet, rolled off and struck him on his side.

The deceased was 49 years of age and single. Employed at the camp less than a month, he was… a man with good habits, attending strictly to his own business. The body was held at the Sense undertaking parlors until Wednesday afternoon, when it was shipped to New Brunswick, as per instructions received from a brother.

“Get back to work, you lazy bastards, ” shouts the foreman. “Haven’t you seen a dead man before?”

In 1928, an Ojibwe man from Bayfield was executed (“along with two Negroes” ) in Chicago.

Washburn Times, December 20, 1928

Dominic Bresette… was given the electric chair for his participation in the murder of William Back, a farmer of Millburn, Illinois.

Bresette was an Indian by birth, but with a fair complexion, easily mistaken for a white man. A World War I veteran, he formerly lived on farms in the Sioux River Valley north of Washburn.

The electric chair but recently replaced the hangman’s noose is an instrument of death for crime Illinois and Bresette was one of the first to have the spark of life snuffed out by electricity

And if life was not dangerous enough in the woods, one lumberjack found a creative way to end things in the Bayfield harbor.

Bayfield County Press, December 20, 1912

Engineer Supple, of the steamer Superior, had a very strange experience and a sensation that he was “hearing things” Wednesday morning, when at five o’clock he opened the firebox preparatory to steaming up for the day’s work. Three times he hesitated before throwing in the coal, feeling sure that he heard a man’s voice nearby. He went outside and looked around but not seeing anyone decided to get busy which he did by throwing several shovels of coal onto the fire.

At this moment the voice was again heard and as Mr. Supple stepped out on the dock he discerned the figure of a man leaning against the smokestack. He called to him to get down…

The gory details, should you care to read them, are on my web page.

This entry was posted in Keepers' Logs, Matters of History. Bookmark the permalink.