Bayfield County Press, July 2, 1881
Among the many attractions in and around Bayfield and the Apostle Islands should be numbered the new Light House, in course of construction on Sand Island. Superintendent Louis Lederle and family have located on the Island and will be pleased to point out the various points of interest.
Supt. Lederle has cleared about ten acres of ground and opened a fine quarry of red sandstone, which will be used for the government buildings. The Light House proper will be thirty-eight by twenty-eight feet in size, and the light will be placed about fifty feet above the water level.
No structure could have a more profound connection to its environment than the exquisite little lighthouse on Sand Island, constructed from the same stone as the promontory on which it sits. It is as if the builders simply reshaped the fabric of the island into lighthouse form.