Or, “A History of the Last Hour”
- Flip on Pandora to my personalized classic rock channel.
- Band comes on that I’ve never heard of, “Just Five.” Not bad.
- Google same and find a page describing them as “one of Belfast’s hottest R&B acts” back in the day.
- Read article and follow link to a page all about the “Irish showband” phenomenon, a term I vaguely remember from the Seventies. Read about the rise and decline of the genre.
- Curiosity piqued by mention of the “Miami Showband massacre,” also dimly remembered from the time of the Troubles.
- Read Wikipedia article on the ambush murder of several members of this popular mixed-membership band by Protestant terrorists.
- Follow link to “List of Massacres in the United Kingdom.” Scroll quickly through list running from Romans killing Druids in 61 AD through that scumbag shooting up a Scottish kindergarten a few years back.
- Find link at bottom “List of Massacres by Country.”
- Pick Iceland pretty much at random, find that only entry involves the slaughter of a shipload of Basque whalers stranded on shore in 1615.
- Start digging up articles on Basque whaling in the North Atlantic during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Very interesting.
- Remind self that I really ought to finish Carl Sauer’s Northern Mists, which I started about thirty years ago.
- Head downstairs to the library and rummage through the shelves till I find it.
- Notice that I’m still logged into Pandora and it’s now streaming a live version of “Stairway to Heaven.”
- Turn off same, grab a root beer.
Broadband + Time On The Hands = ADHD Paradise
“Bobby, where have you been?”